An irreverent look at motherhood and family life in a new state of normal.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cupcake Queen

Apparently, when I was young, my mom wasn't much of a cook. I don't remember this. I remember loving everything she made. I have been reminded several times that a 10 year old palate isn't very sophitocated so maybe she wasn't a good cook. Pasta dishes and Mexican food seem to be crowd pleasers and that was her usual cooking MO. I don't know. But I do know about 10 years ago, she started cooking and hasn't stopped. When I say she started cooking, I mean she went nuts over the Food Network and has been on a mission to beat Bobby Flay in a Throwdown. She recently took up Baking as well and that's where her artistic skills really came in handy. Here are some of her cakes and cupcakes. The thing about baking and decorating is you usually sacrifice taste for beauty. It takes a long time to decorate a great cake and sometimes the sponge gets dry. You also tend get get some chemical taste in heavily colored icing. Not so with my mom's cakes. She has found just that trick to make her cake moist and her icing yummy and PRETTY! So, if you want a cake or a batch of cupcakes, just give her a ring. She's testing on everyone she knows right now before we open our dream bakery. Bring it on, Bobby!

So what I'm saying here is, go for your dreams no matter what and... eat cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment