An irreverent look at motherhood and family life in a new state of normal.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Public Library

The other day I was reading Abby her bedtime story and I realized that I had memorized all our books. I am sure there are many of us who can recite The Busy Spider or all of the Red Bible Story books after being asked to read them over and over.

I went to the mall and checked out the books in the toy store and although they are cute and very nicely packaged, they are outrageously priced for those of us on a budget.

I headed over to the used book store and discovered that prices are significantly reduced. I bought 8 books for the price of one. I know you are all thinking, "Amazon, Callie." I am hopelessly bad at Internet shopping. I just buy and buy and it adds up without me even thinking about it.

My next thought was, I am about to consign a ton of baby stuff. Do I really want to buy books that are just going to end up in a garage sale? I realize that certain books are a must have for our personal library but after that, we all need a little variety in the story routine.

Today Andy took Abby to the public library. I have not been there yet and I went to check it out after they got back and I had a little time on my hands. It was downright scary. There are all sorts of crazy people in the library. I wish I could find one that is a nice neighborhood library. I also hate leaving my house with my kids, getting a card and hauling said kids and books back to the car. However, there are many fun times to be had there with your kids. There is a story time on Fridays, a couch for you to read to them on and lots of fun games on their computers. Best thing is, you can still check out real honest to goodness books like you did before Kindle and Nook and DVDs and all that. There are still books with pages (because kids love to turn the pages) and pictures (because what is The Tawny Scrawny Lion without pictures that make you want to eat carrot soup). Abby loves it. She is reading incoherently to Cate right now and I am glad we took the time to go to the library.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

Location:Missoula, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment