An irreverent look at motherhood and family life in a new state of normal.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Postpartum Depression

I'm having a bit of postpartum depression. That's right. I'm putting it right out there.

Symptoms:
1. I cry over the stupidest things. (Most recently, a box of cereal...)
2. I'm tired ALL THE TIME! I can wake up in the morning after 10 hours of great sleep and still be wasted. I need introveinous caffine just to function.
3. I have the weirdest aches and pains (that cause me to cry... refer to symptom #1.)
4. I get unreasonably mad about stuff that doesn't matter. (Like Abby moving one inch while I'm doing her hair.) Then I have to reason with myself for an hour before I react or I'm bound to say or do something I regret. This usually involved some crying.
5. I'm dehydrated and feel like I need to drink all the time. Is this really a symptom or am I just running out of fluids between breast feeding and crying?

So, suggestions? My mom thinks I need vitamins. I think that's a good idea.

Update on the status of our lives:

Andy is still in MT working out the last of his school stuff and loans and all that. I'm still here. There is no apartment yet but I think that will be worked out after some other things are worked out. We are still up in the air over so many things. I just hope we get it all together soon but really, I'm not that worried about it... today. Some days I'm crying over it and some days I'm content to just sit here and take care of the kids. I say "just" but we all know what a big job taking care of the kids is. Well, friends, I am sorry that I haven't been blogging lately but I have to get the kids down and cross the construction zone in the house to use the computer. Honestly, every spare second is used for sleep or laundry or such.

Update on Dad:

Dad is home, feeling alot better, and realizing what a long time it's going to take to recover from MAJOR surgery. He is getting antibiotics through a PICC line morning and night. It's interesting to see him down like this. I know how it is to recover. I also know what it's like to feel like since you aren't in the hospital anymore, you should be going full speed. It's just not going to happen. Get over it and get some rest. Easier said than done, right? Keep sending him your love. It's what keeps him going.

Don Kanen
106 Willowcreek Pl.
Alamosa, CO 81101

1 comment:

  1. Callie,
    After reading your blog I felt like crying too! Vitamins may help with a bit of energy but won't fix it all. Let's list all you are dealing with - new baby plus your other daughter, no husband at home, homelessness due to moving and , your father has been very sick! There maybe more you haven't mentioned but that list is enough to make anyone feel overwhelmed, sad, emotional, frustrated and have pain. Please seek professional help - see a Dr they might be able to help you. Also, one day at a time. Take care of yourself!
    Just a little motherly advice,
    Lori Palomarez - friend of your parents & Casey

    ReplyDelete