An irreverent look at motherhood and family life in a new state of normal.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Maternity Clothes

I was watching Project Runway (one of my guilty pleasures) and they had a maternity clothes challenge (which seemed appropriate as Heidi Klum is poppin' out kids left and right). I was amazed that even those talented designers couldn't come up with a really good maternity outfit.

I was walking in the mall the other day and saw a pregnant lady with a short shirt on that showed her belly. As much as I believe our pregnancy is a badge of honor, courage, and crazy-lady-what-were-you-thinking, I'm not sure that a flippy, blingy belly button ring on the front and a butterfly tattoo on the back (all hanging out for the world to see along with your stretch marks) are the way to go when launching into motherhood.

But what choice do we have really? There are only two places that aren't department stores that sell even a small selection of maternity clothes in our mall and they are both outrageously expensive. With the plethora of celebrities gracing the red carpet with protruding stomachs, you would think there would be more of a dash for the maternity niche but I am reduced to wearing my husbands sweats all day, every day until I loose the weight 3 or 4 years from now.

My biggest hurdle with this whole dilemma is getting to work in something decent. I have a limited budget and buying comfy pants for home and something appropriate for the classroom is quite a stretch on my already maxed out credit card. My sister and I have been sharing a maternity wardrobe and have timed our pregnancies so that we are never pregnant at the same time but we are always pushing right up against the weight loss deadline of the other person. It gives us a financial incentive to get the weight off as we really can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe when required to give up the maternity boxes. (Sorry, Casey, I kept a sweater because it's GREAT and I wear it all the time, pregnant or not.)

Well, here's to hopin' my birthday presents include new additions to the wardrobe and or a great massage from somewhere they don't allow toddlers. *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment